Monday, August 10, 2009

Nonsense

It's nonsense. Plain and simple nonsence. But it sure is some of the fun stuff of life. Yesterday afternoon I was finally getting a chance to work on a blog posting -I was trying to blog all week. In doing some research to make sure I had my facts straight - my rememberer isn't so reliable these days - I came across some info and I sent it to Betz just for kicks and giggles - as Mr. Studly would say. It went something like this:


Hey - I'm doing a little research on the Carter County Museaum site (Ekalaka) and I came across this.

"Sitting Bull, Hunkpapa Sioux, was a frequent visitor to the Carter County area of the Montana Territory. He knew it well as he hunted across it's vast prairie's. For many years after the territory was opened for settlement, he and other Native American's returned to the Medicine Rocks area where they had held religious ceremonies."

I'm sure it was at the museum that day but it's only now registering........

The Medicine Rocks are considered sacred. Papa Smurf got his name that day (or at least that weekend). I called him Chief Bull Cutter on my blog.
Sitting Bull.........Chief Bull cutter
Hunkpapa........Papa Smurf - who happens to be a hunk himself

Who knew?!



Apparently Betz had no more to do then I did yesterday afternoon cuz her reply went something like this:

Well I'll be! The name is like a pan of lasagna after all the lasagna is gone...it just sticks! Maybe next time you are out we should hold a ceremony celebrating the naming of Papa Smurf...I'll start planning the details on my end....you start looking at flights for say a year from now....it's sure to be good time....maybe we can sit in a tee-pee ring, sing kum-ba-yah and drink a powerful tea, and swap stories about snow snakes, just in Papa Smurf's honor...it could become a tradition, ya know, like Christmas. :D





This distance thing is made easier when you can laugh together. Betz is finding herself as camp cook for lunch and supper and the ranch hands are all enjoying her PA Dutch cooking plus a few other ethnic dishes. Apparently they've never heard of stromboli in them thar parts of the plains but they sure did like it. She's missing her social connections greatly and longs to hear some familiar voices ask her how she's doing. If you know my Betz, drop me a line and I'll provide the house number for you to call and chat.

In the meantime should you find yourself close enough to visit the Medicine Rocks be sure to stop in and make some of your own history.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Well, I'll be...aren't you sweet. :) That's my mom, always looking out for me. I shared this story with Jamie last nite and he got a kick out of it. You are right....it's pure nonsense, but it's oh so fun. I loved your 5,000 e-mails yesterday...nothing like going to my inbox and seeing a message, or 4 or 5, from Mom. Love ya!

Just a little something from Judy said...

I bet you will not like the distance thing anymore than me. It is difficult to have long distance relationships,and to talk to them on the phone, when they are really missing home. Think how much you and I are learning from our far away children.