Friday, August 21, 2009

An evening ride continued

Our evening four wheeler ride had us seeing some of the chores that need to be done.
Mr. Studly cleaned out the creep feeder that the calves use and dumped the coarser grain in piles for the momma's to eat.




On this vast acreage there are 16 windmills that draw water.


Way out, far from the home place, is a place that they refer to as the 'homestead'.

Waaaay back in the day the home settler built his home, barns and other buildings into the side of the hill. At the back of the house he fashioned this concrete arch that sloped down and back into a really good sized root celler. I wanted to walk in and see. Mr. Studly said he didn't bring a flashlight and also wasn't sure how many snakes there may be living there. I told him I'd take his word on the story. Maybe next time we can take a flashlight and a gun.




In the middle of the house rubble is the remains of a Model T car. Only the steering wheel is visable from the top.

Some of the farm equipment that was used still sits in the open field.

I wonder if the home settler knew when he parked it there that it would be the last time it would be used. He certainly didn't know that it would be still be there all these years later.


I can only imagine the stories these spokes could tell. How far did they travel? Did their journey begin in the east? I gained a new sense of awe for the folks in our history who loaded up their belongings and families into a covered wagon (not a car pulling a UHaul) and trudged along the many, many miles to a new place out west.

And I wonder how many sunsets the old settler saw.......




It was a wonderful evening. Next time Mr. Studly is going to take us further out and show us the teepee rings on their land. I want to dig around and find an arrowhead.

No comments: