Monday, August 31, 2009

The Fabric of Life

I grew up in a area that is rich with sewing talent and creativity. I was always drawn to things that have a rainbow of colors in them and as child a quilt with this pattern covered my bed. That particular quilt came from my Dad's side of the family and was eventually used as a car cover - fer shame. My mother has the quilt below in her possession and is in the process of having some family members verify that my great-grandmother possibly made it and passed it on to Grandma. So although quilting was something my grandmothers generation did much of I did not learn the skill but greatly appreciate the value of time in each piece.




Jay & I have a dear friend who we both love to spend time with. She loves to have grand discussions and follows the thread of conversation that digs deep below the surface issues. Our lunch meetings after church at Panera Bread are always a highlight on our calendar. She is a gifted and talented quilt maker and over the weekend I was able to take into possession one of her pieces.



This wall hanging means much to me. During the months that followed after the business fire we met with a man of God who provided very wise financial counseling for us. On his office wall hung a piece of art that I had never seen before. I was instantly drawn to the pattern called Bargello. During those questioning days of 'will we be able to survive this fire and can we actually move towards saving the business?' I remember thinking that at if we ever found ourselves in a place of being able to afford it I would have a bargello pattern hanging in my husbands office.

Now 6 years later even though we continue to work hard to make wise decisions concerning the business this dear friend learned of my love for this quilt pattern and offered an affordable price. This spring I met with her at a local fabric store and her trained eye picked out fabrics that fit into my checklist - I wanted black, tan and maroon and all other colors and fabric patterns incorporated into it needed to be on the masculine side (I promised Jay that it wouldn't be frilly and flowery). We met one time (at Panera Bread, of course) for my approval of her fabric choices -- who was I to question her choices but I was amazed, delighted, more than satisfied and quite anxious to see her put those choices together. She has been finished with the wall hanging for over a month but our summer schedules didn't quite match. Yesterday after a delightful 3 1/2 hour lunch with her I finally got to see this long awaited dream-come-true. It is with a grateful heart for God's faithfulness that we will hang this on Jay's office wall.





I have always admired the creative giftedness of those who quilt. The time it takes to design a pattern. The time it takes to pick out fabrics that are perfectly matched or contrasted in textures, pattern and colors.

The time it takes to cut all the pieces and sew them together with perfection.







The time it takes to quilt all those little tiny dashes across the span of cloth.





And while Mom is hoping to verify and give credit to the proper woman who crafted her quilt no one will need to question who the creative quilter was for mine.



This photo is a snapshot of God's love for me.....Jay,the love of my life and world; a dear, dear friend with many talents who has walked with us and shares a love for life and great conversation; a Bargello wall hanging that provides a visable reminder of talent, giftedness, friendship and above all - God's faithfulness.

These are some of my most favorite life colorings.

2 comments:

Just a little something from Judy said...

How blessed you are to have such a caring, talented and artistic friend. How blessed I am to be related to her. How privileged you both are to acquire one of her LOVELY wall hangings for your home. This is a very special post!!

Jess said...

What a beautiful blog posting! I had no idea she was doing this for you, but what a special friend to make such a meaningful piece for you and Dad! I'm so thankful for the friends God has blessed you both with...and I feel privileged to include myself not only in the friend category, but the daughter category too. :) I miss you, our conversations over lunch, and the way you always make me feel "at home" when I am with you. I Love You, Mom!