There are more than 4,000 member locations enrolled in PA Preferred, including farmers markets, restaurants, food processors, grocery chains, craft breweries and wineries.
We just became members of PA Preferred and over the weekend one of our customers that we process meat for (McElhaney Family Farm)provided us with tickets for one of the events of this festival. We attended this event as representatives for McElhaney's.
"The highlight of the PA Preferred culinary events will take place on Saturday, June 10, with the presentation of the 2010 Governor's Award for Culinary Arts at the Farm-to-Barn Dinner At Beech Spring Farms." ~PA Preferred.
What an absolutely fun evening we had even though we didn't know a single soul, except Agriculture Secretary Russell Redding, who we had met last month with his visit to the butcher shop for Beef Month - something I didn't have a chance to blog about yet.
Beech Spring Farms is a gardeners delight. I was told the lady of the house does most of the gardening herself. And she does an amazing job. This huge tree provided the focal point for the 1st part of the evening.
Hor d'oeuvres
Flowers were from the many gardens on the farm.
Also under the tree was a young bluegrass band "River Wheel" that provided the evening with great music.
There were landscape artists set up in various parts of the gardens working their craft. (the ability to draw/paint well has always been something I wish I would be able to do.)
And then the gardens...
Covet thou not thy neighbors greenhouse........ I'm trying.... I'm tryin....
The sun, shining so directly through,made this look fluorescent.
I only took photo's of the flower gardens but she also had large vegetable gardens as well.
The second part of the evening included the presentation of the Governor's Culinary Arts Award.
Former White House Chef Walter Scheib, The Festival's Artistic Director of Culinary Events
(shooting directly into the sun - not a great photo op set up)
Governor Rendell arrived to present the Culinary Award.
(Secretary Redding in blue tie.)
The Governor's Culinary Award.
The TV crew man was taking a VERY long time getting his shot. I couldn't just tap him on the shoulder and say 'excuse me but I'd like a picture as well'. =) So his camera is in my picture.
The final part and highlight of the evening was the Farm-to-Table Dinner
held in the barn built circa 1987 and catered by The Greenfield Inn.
I've never been at a table that had white and red wine AND meadow tea and iced tea. Only in PA, I'm thinkin'. Meadow tea is nectar from heaven in my book. The entire menu from drinks to dessert were grown and made in PA. I won't list all the food available but some favorites were Beef Brisket (provided by McElhaney's), Pig Stomach (Hog Maws), Sliced Beef Heart , Chicken Pot Pie, Corn & Potato Chowder, and of course, Whoopie Pies (lemon, spice and chocolate) , Rhubarb Pie and Apple Dumplings.
PA Preferred provides some marvelous local fare.
Sec. Redding said that a number of events associated with the festival will feature PA Preferred products. PA Preferred is the Department of Agriculture's branding program that helps consumers 'Pennsylvanians are fortunate to enjoy a nearly year-round harvest of diverse and affordable agricultural products, thanks to our hardworking farmers,' said Redding. 'Events held throughout the year, like the Gettysburg Festival, enable us to not only enjoy the great food prepared in Pennsylvania, but also to celebrate the farmers who make the meals possible.'
I am so thankful to live in an area rich with farms, roadside stands and other options that provide access to locally grown produce and other foods. The producers are all very hard working and we are blessed by their efforts.
2 comments:
Beautiful visit! Thanks for taking us along via your great pics. Glad you and J enjoyed a great evening. Love ya girl.
What an amazing evening you had and to think that you took the time to share it all with us. The stone farmhouse was beautiful. Well, actually I everything you shared pictures of, was magazine photo category. The menu sounded so delicious too. Evenings like you had can be so memorable.
Post a Comment