Saturday, June 27, 2009

It was a fantabulous day!

Yesterday was my 50th birthday. I've never been secretive about my age - it is what it is...a number. And numbers don't define me. But it was a little different yesterday. 50 is a milestone that society seems to fuss over. I was surprisingly fussed over yesterday and it does feel nice when your favorite people do the fussing.

I awoke yesterday morning to find notes through out the house. My Betz was busy before she went to bed the night before. This was hanging in the kitchen.


"Welcome to 50 and Fabulous!"


I opened the cupboard door for the coffee and this was sticking in a coffee mug.


After the coffee was started I went for a drink from the fridge and found this on a shelf.


Headed for my LazyBoy where I finish out my sleeping for the night and this was in the middle of the room. I have small window lights on 24/7 so I wasn't startled to see these but I did need to turn on some lights to take the picture.






I went to sit in my chair and found this.


The little note in the bottom corner asked me to wake her at 7:00 so that she would be ready to party. I've enjoyed needing to say "Hey babe, it's time to wake up". It's been a really long time since I've had to do that.


Decided to visit the bathroom before I settled in the chair for the rest of the night and....



Finally with drink in hand and headed for my chair again I noticed that the computer screen on my laptop that sits beside my chair was glowing and thought 'oh fiddle, the screensaver is whacked again'. But I was suprised to discover a two page note on my computer screen.



The end of the note said that there was a queue of songs that she had handpicked for me.


So I got myself all comfy, put the earbuds in and cried myself to sleep listening to a new song I've never heard before

(click to listen)
and then oodles of my very, very favorite songs and artists. Slept quite soundly.


Before we left for the day I opened the card and gifts that were attached to the balloons.





I love Willow Tree figurines. This one depicts perfectly how I've felt about mothering Betz and it will be the hardest thing I've ever had to do when a month from now I'll need to 'let go' of this embrace and leave her way out there somewhere.... sniff, sniff.



But chocolate cures everything, right?!
A bag of my favorite was one of the gifts.

Then we started our day by meeting my parents for breakfast. I try not to take it for granted, and thank God often, that both Mom & Dad are in great health and we enjoy wonderful times together. They've provided a godly heritage and I am most blessed for their love and care.


Mom & Dad volunteer their time each Friday at the local ReUzIt shop so we stopped in to see where they hang out and meet the folks they work with. Dad works on items that are donated to the department that requires electric or batteries. Growing up, there was never a handyman or service man called to the house - Dad fixed it himself. Mom has a section of the shop that she keeps organized where kitchen items are displayed.



On a table back in the employee breakroom we found this to be perfect for the day.


I had fun purchasing items I would never have considered before entering BlogWorld. I purchased a small lidded candy dish for 50 cents that I'll use to fill and provide when a small gift is needed (oodles of ideas presented by Judy at http://www.justalittlesomethingforyou.blogspot.com/

I picked up some dishes that I plan to use in a wall display in my home - another idea from other sites on blogworld.


Then it was time to be off. We had other places to be. We picked up a trailer that Mr. Studly found for Hubby & I to use to haul more items to Montana on our drive out. It is a premium 'poster child' of hillbilly, redneck items. Pictures will follow later when we're loaded up and ready to make the trek across country. We took the darling little trailer to it's parking place until needed and then headed back to our side of the county for a scheduled hair appointment and pedicure that Betz had made for me. So I was covered 'from head to toe' in love.


The day was filled with Facebook greetings, phone calls from more favorite people (my two sons and Mr. Studly) gifts and cards.

But the best was yet to come. Friday nights are date night for me and Hubby. We've discovered over the years of working together in the business, parenting, and .... just life that we are best if we can carve out a section of time with only our name on it. There aren't many Friday nights that we allow anyone or anything to change those plans. Our dating life was based on endless conversation and we've continued that all these years. He is still my favorite person to talk to. My world shrinks when we aren't 'on the same page' and struggling to communicate.

We found a new place in the city (for us anyway) and had a wonderful meal and conversations. At 10:00 he asked "well, are you ready to call it a night?" I had had a wonderfully special day and it was sad to know that it was over.

I'm delighted that God created us with the ability to remember.
Yesterday provided many great memories.
....and 50 is a good number.



Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Just a little something from Judy said...

Happy 50th birthday to Beautiful you!!!! You deserve all the love and joy you received on your special day, because for 50 years you've been sharing it with everyone else around you. Thanks also for the kind blog compliment to me. You are a dear!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Marty!!

So glad you had a great 50!!

Somehow several weeks ago I found your blog. I enjoy reading it!! Was good to see a pic of your Mom and Dad.

Cuz Mary Ann (oops I guess your Mom and I are Cuz!!)

Karen said...

Oh my, how did I miss this wonderous occasion.....Happy, Happy Birthday and welcome to the "50 and over crowd"...."it aint half bad"..in fact there is much that is very good about the 50ies!!! So glad that you took the time to blog about your special day.....and your very special daughter....you are richly blessed!!!! Karen