Friday, May 1, 2009

A Robin egg thought

On Saturday while Jay was mowing he saw this little egg in the grass, stopped, got off the mower and picked it up. I don't know how he protected it while continuing to mow. Later that day he saw Jason, knew Jason was headed over to see me and said "Here, give this to Mom".

I'm sure men would argue how hard women are to be pleased - but I was easily and lovingly pleased by this. I love the different colors of nature and this egg will always represent 'I thought of you'.

I tried desperately to make the pictures convey the unique blue color of a robin's egg. Played around with all manner of tools in my photo program. I could capture the color (almost) only by placing the egg beside a partial brown egg. But try as I may I was unable to find a way to capture the translucency of the shell.


ROBIN EGG SPRINGTIME

So much to delight about in springtime --

Fresh green buds on trees, crocuses, daffodils, tulips

But nothing matches a pastel blue robin egg

To ignite spring feelings within me

My robin egg infatuation traces back to first grade

When Miss Woods, using God and science in the same breath

Explained that robin eggs were blue to camouflage them

Among the sun-dappled leaves hovering about the robin's nest

I decided then and there

That robin egg blue was my favorite color

Because it protected new life

And because it made me feel close to the sky

Even now, some fifty years later

Especially after a long hard winter

Spotting a robin egg shell on the ground

Makes me feel alive in a way only spring can do

~Don Iannone, poetic alchemist.wordpress.com

No comments: