Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Wild, Wild West

Jess & Jamie are moving west this summer. In trying to prepare my mommy heart for this long distance trek I did some Google Earth searching this week. Here are some of my early finds.


They currently reside at the yellow pin (lop left corner) between Elizabethtown and Mount Joy. #283 is less than a mile as the crow flies from their home. Mount Joy is under 3 miles. (bottom right corner). Amtrack train runs between their development and #230.

Using the same scale markers on Google earth this is where they are moving to. I'm not sure - I'd need to check with Jamie - but I don't think the quantity of acres of land the ranch sits on would fit into a picture on this scale. And there are no other ranch home on this picture.


And the nearest highway that's remotely paved is 21 miles away (as the crow flies). I'll let you know in July after we've returned home how many miles it is using land vehicles. The bottom right yellow pin marks the southeast corner of the state of Montana. Billings, MT is a two hour drive west from the ranch. The only thing running between the ranch and the main road is an occasional tumble weed. I've learned over the years that I'm a visual learner. Give me an address and some mapping capabilities and I'll head out to any parts unknown. It helps me to 'see' where they'll plant themselves. Hopefully actually physically seeing some of their new surroundings will help rest my quickly beating heart.

The webcams have been purchased and will be the first thing put into commission when the distance between our yellow pins will be 1700 miles.

God bless the person who invented Skype.

No comments: