Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy July 4th




During my elementary school years my family would vacation on the Canadian side of the Saint Lawrence Seaway (1000 Islands). Often it was scheduled during our 4th of July and Canada celebrates their Canada Day on July 1. My earliest memories of fireworks was being on the water on the Canadian side and seeing the fireworks displays on the US side. Seeing a Canadian flag has nostalgic memories for me. I learned to swim in Canada. Dad taught me the fun and joy of worming my own hook and catching fish from the dock or in a boat. The seaway is fresh water and I didn't swim in salt water until after I was married. Swimming in deep water is still my preference - that came from knowing the seaweed grew in shallow water (and it gives me willies to this day to swim through seaweed)so the solution was solved in deep, deep water. Falling asleep at night hearing the waves crash on shore --- it's still a favorite sound. The waves at times where huge, caused by the giant ships traveling up and down the seaway.

This video clip shows how well the Canadians respect and honor their fallen soldiers. I grow more and more appreciative of the men and women who sacrificed much for my blessed opportunity of freedom.


This takes place in Ontario when a soldier is killed in Afghanistan & comes back to Canada. All Post mortems for the military are done in Toronto , but they arrive in Trenton & go West along the 401 to Toronto.



2 comments:

Jess said...

Wow, that video is amazing...what a special way to honor those who died for their country. I also liked what you wrote about your childhood. It's hard to imagine you as a little girl cause you've always been a grown-up to me, but I love hearing you talk about it. Thanks for making MY childhood so special. Love you!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Thank you for sharing your cherished childhood memories. I thought this video was pretty amazing. Wishing you and your family a fun time together today.