This week I made a stop at a local quilting shop. I wish I would have asked to take a picture of the walls covered with all the colors of the rainbow - maybe next time. The various rooms were filled with the talents of local quilters, basket makers, crafters, pottery and so much more. I found this doll tucked in a corner of a shelf in the quilt room. These were new to me.
It's made from a men's large white hanky
and I enjoyed the historic story that accompanied it.
"During the Revolutionary War these dolls were made for little girls to carry to church. Church services lasted all day and the girls were given the dolls to keep them occupied during the long hours of worship. The dolls were made completely of cloth so that if they were dropped in church they would not disturb the service. The dolls were revived during the Civil War. They were made as remembrances for those who went to fight, given as keep sakes to the soldiers of the loved ones left behind."
~~ I show my age but I'm grateful that our own children will have memories of sitting in the morning worship service. We sat as a family with just a few small things to keep their attention - not a huge bag full of trinkets and before there were fully staffed nurseries for children of all ages.

No comments:
Post a Comment