Tuesday, May 11, 2010

New neighbors

Today I saw a pair of birds I've never seen before. As near as I can tell by what little research I had time to do today I'm thinking it was a male and female Orchard Oriole. Anyone know for sure?

First of all the pictures are of extremely poor quality. I could only get so close to the door without scaring them off and I was shooting from a darker inside into a brighter outside and through a glass door.

The Mrs. was completely distracted or attracted to my blue shiny flower pot. She was doing the Jericho march around and around and pecking at the side of the pot. She would march around and then fly off only to return within minutes and start again. At one point I filled a small container with grape jelly and also put out a half of an orange on the plant stand shelf below the blue pot. She marched around and never seemed to see the food offering below. When she flew off again I placed both food offerings in two separate corners right beside the flower pot. When she returned she simply walked around the food - she was completely mesmerized with pecking the pot and marching. She did eventually discover the orange and seemed quite pleased with her find.

The picture is 'busy' but she is sitting there facing the blue pot.


Occasionally she would fly down to the bottom of the glass sliding door and peck at the glass but she was soon back to marching around the pot.



I thought at first it was a mysteriously marked robin until she brought with her the Mister. One look at the two of them together convinced me that this was indeed no robin. Of course, as is true with most birds, Mister was much more splendidly colorful. The poor picture quality doesn't portray the bright shade of orange he was.


I have some time tomorrow morning at home and I'm hoping my meager fare will entice these two new neighbors to come for another visit.

1 comment:

Just a little something from Judy said...

This is so interesting. I never saw birds like these. Your commentary on these birds added a smile to my day. Thanks for sharing.