My flowerbed (new this spring) has had some difficulty this summer. The spring weather was perfect for getting new plants in the ground and then the hot weeks of summer came…. and stayed…. and stayed.
I watered and watered. Then I went to war with the crabgrass that was eyeing up the new mulch. Watered some more and at times felt like I was administering the last drops of hope to some plants that looked nye to death. About 1 1/2 weeks ago I finally told the plants in a few pots to ‘rest in peace’.
Jay planted a few things at the shop this spring as well. He’s a marigold guy so he has a few out around the business sign in the yard. This spring he was tired of mowing a certain corner and decided to make a bed with shrubs and ground cover. He found a stump laying around and set it up in the shrub bed. The tree was getting rotten inside so at the center was a small empty hole. ( I guess most holes ARE empty, huh?!) He decided to plant a marigold in each hole of the stump. I didn’t think it would last long for the following reasons:
1. The hole wasn’t much bigger then a soup can.
2. The shrub bed is in a corner surrounded by two walls in the back and edged in front by a small strip of grass and a long section of macadam.
3. The corner is on the hottest side of the building.
But Check This Out!
Yes, that’s a soaker hose --
and he did water the bed a little in the beginning of the summer when he first planted the shrubs and if he remembered he dumped a little water on the stump. But trust me, he certainly did NOT primp and preen over this little puppy. And he hasn’t watered it in WEEKS.
And the crazy thing has more blooms on it then any of my sorry looking marigolds at home which are also on the hottest side of our house and I watered and watered, primped and preened and finally told them “I give up” and they are now as dead as the stump in Jay’s shrub bed.
His marigolds taunt me every time I drive past them. And last time I checked his thumb is not green.
HUMPF ! …… Geesh…..
Jay thinks he’s all that and a bag of chips.
Like I said – Life isn’t fair.
1 comment:
Just think, you gave me a smile on this Monday morning. I will never look at Marigolds the same again. Thank goodness you promised to love him "for better or worse":)
Post a Comment