Saturday, August 20, 2011

Baby Shower Cake

I’ve always wanted to try and make one of those diaper cakes (not sure those two words should be beside each other) you see for a baby shower.  Well today was the day.  I collected some things I thought might work and also decided to make just two layers instead of the usual three.

My collection of supplies:

DSCN2791

a baby bowl and spoon, pack of 5 little onesies, travel pack of Johnson & Johnson, teething toys, pacifier with keeper and a monkey security blanket.

And of course a pack of 86 NB diapers…

DSCN2792
and some ribbon.    Took me about an hour.  Made two rings of diapers, using the ribbon to hold the rings together as I kept adding diapers to make the size I was looking for.  I was wanting to use wide, WIDE ribbon around sides of the layers but was unable to find what I wanted at the store I was shopping in at the time.

DSCN2808

It looked like this when I was all done.
DSCN2794

Tucked things in around the layers.

DSCN2807

  I found little block favors at the Dollar Tree and tied a block around any free hanging ribbon and curled the ribbon.
DSCN2799


DSCN2796


DSCN2806

I used one of the onesies to hold the monkey head up.  Just stuffed in at the back of the top ring.

DSCN2800

DSCN2801

At the last minute I remembered I had a bag of miniature animal crackers on hand for the grands.  I was asking little monkey to do alot as head ring master of my cake so he needed some nourishment for his job. 

DSCN2802 
Now I can cross off ‘make a diaper cake’ from my bucket list.

DSCN2793

1 comment:

Denise said...

So cute! Great gift idea.